Here is a recipe that i experimented with today, for a simple and luxurious soup which can be used as a starter or a meal in itself, served with a wedge of crusty bread.
1 head of broccoli
100-150g Stilton (to taste)
2tbsp rapeseed oil
2tbsp porcini olive oil
Knob of butter
1 litre chicken or veg stock
Favourite bread cubed
Salt and Pepper
1 potato large
1 celery stick
1) Firstly chop the leek, onion, Celery, take the head away from the thick broccoli stalk and break apart then chop the potato into roughly 2cm cubes.
2) Heat up the rapeseed in a large saucepan add the onions on a medium heat and put on lid. Leave for five minutes allowing onions to steam and soften.
3) Add a small cup of water so the onions don’t burn on the pan then add in the celery leek and potato with a knob of butter. Leave on a low medium heat covered to sweat for five minutes.
4) Add the stock and leave to simmer on the same heat level for 15 minutes.
5) After that time add the broccoli heads minus any chunky stalks and cook for five minutes.
6) Blitz mixture with a blender until it’s as smooth as desired. Then crumble in Stilton and stir in it will melt and slightly thicken the soup. Taste and season until you are happy with the final flavour of the dish, remember the Stilton will provide a salty element to the dish.
For the croutons just heat cubed bread on a warm pan drizzled with your desired oil. I chose porcini infused mushroom olive oil for an earthy wild mushroom kick but you can use normal olive oil, garlic etc. Be careful not to have the heat to high they will burn easily.